my first mosaic wall hanging

my first mosaic wall hanging

Saturday 5 November 2011

In the beginning


In the beginning

I live in a neighbourhood populated with students, many of them international students, and this provides me with interesting dumpster finds at the end of the month and especially at the end of semesters.  There is a great deal of pleasure to be had in creating with found objects whether it be from the dumpster, the thrift store or from stuff I've collected from garage sales over the years.  My small apartment offers minimal storage, therefore, I prefer small items to play with. 


Glitze and glam are not my fashion style but creating art with shiny objects is definitely a passion.  Beading was part of my teen years during the sixties.  All things bohemian :)! Stamping when my children were small in the eighties and nineties was an outlet for creativity.  One of my biggest passions, however, is buttons.  From the moment my grandmother's button collection was given to me, childhood memories of games played with buttons and clothing worn by my grandmother came flooding back to me.  A new appreciation for these little artistic creations was formed and has blossomed to an eclectic collection of buttons, beads and all things shiny.  Everyting came together when I discovered a book by Laurie Mica who creates mosaic art with polymer clay tiles and mika powder.  Here I found an avenue to use stamps and buttons for imprinting and beads could be incorporated for more interest. Another important feature I weave into the pieces is my love of all things Angelic and sacred.  Sacred symbols and pictures mixed with this eclectic style ties together my belief system and my passions.


In this blog I want to explore the process of recreating/recycling interesting pieces using found objects with a 
view to making artful or at the very least crafted objects of desire. I hope that others will enjoy seeing the process and the outcome as much as I have

No comments:

Post a Comment