my first mosaic wall hanging

my first mosaic wall hanging

Tuesday 15 November 2011

a magic box!


This little box was an interesting and challenging project mostly due to the paint job.  I rushed the layers a little to much and some peeling occurred.  I sanded the front down again and repainted.

 I wanted to layer the legs for interest and dimension.  Plastic buttons worked well to add a layer to the bottom and to the top of the wooden legs I had on hand.   Gold spray paint unified the different elements.


 To create a design I masked off triangles on the sides and painted over the gold metalic with purple acrylic. I had to use three or four layers to achieve the colour I needed.  There is a special metalic spray paint I found awhile back that is sort of opalized and I thought this would match with the mica powder effect better than the flat look of the acrylic.  Lots of layers.....probably needed more drying time. :)



 Before the legs.   You can see I use every square inch of my apartment for workspace.


I used the same purple acrylic and metalic opalized spray paint on the middle part of the legs.    The triangles are a bit rough but I think it was a good experiment,

Pretty!! Two of the imprints are buttons and the rest are made with jewelry except for the letter stamps.


I made a small rectangle with polymer clay and created a hole in the centre to thread wire through..  Then I created a bead chain to dangle from the handle.. It's a beaded tassle!

I have decided to give this box to a friend for her birthday and it has a small present inside.  Interesting wrapping eh?!

No comments:

Post a Comment